Monday 17 November 2008

Knitting gone bad, what not to do at home



It seems more and more people are knitting. Me included. A little while ago a friend lend me her needles and gave me some wool to knit my first scarf. She said it was a great beginner project. I can knit a mean dishcloth but that is straight knitting. My scarf has two knitting techniques, the knit and purl.

The purl confuses me. I can't seem to remember it.
This weekend we went to the camp and after leaving my knitting for months and months I brought it to re-teach myself how to purl.

LESSON no. 1 - You can't teach yourself how to knit/purl without help!!!

I not only messed up my scarf complete with holes and all, I somehow gained 7 stitches!!

I was talking to my mom on the phone last night and she said since you have been scrapbooking for 7 years and never really quit that (I have taken breaks) maybe that is your calling, not knitting.

I am not going to give up!! I want to finish my scarf, well that is once I learn the purl and how to go back a few rows without restarting the whole scarf!

6 Comments:

At 18 November 2008 at 04:40 , Blogger LLW said...

Easy to go back, just take the needle out gently and pull the string to back track, once you get back a few rows - reinsert the needle! :)

It's a beautiful start - love the colour!

 
At 18 November 2008 at 07:55 , Blogger Sunny said...

I'll help you out my wonderful student.

 
At 18 November 2008 at 08:23 , Blogger Kirsten said...

you are brave to even attempt :) More than I did

 
At 19 November 2008 at 04:13 , Blogger The Original Princess said...

Don't worry, Jenny Mac will save it. What is the pattern to make the square type shapes?

 
At 19 November 2008 at 06:24 , Blogger gypsybug said...

just knit 6, then purl 6 repeating for 6 blocks and then on the way back you start the same as what you did.

If you finished the row purling then you make sure you purl for 6, then knit for 6.

Once you have 6 rows completed you start the opposite.

So if you finished your row with a purl, you need to knit 6....etc.

Does that make sense???
That's basically how JennyMac explained it to me.

OH and P, how's my blanket coming?

 
At 19 November 2008 at 15:51 , Blogger Kim said...

Just noticed your blog...and I find out that you knit too...so you have 3 kids, you scrap, you move a lot, you work a fulltime job, or was that two, and you knit? See I'm surprised you aren't tangled in the yarn!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home